Arlette Biscuits

For my Third bake from episode 2 of the Great British Bake off I have made Arlette Biscuits.

Arlettes are a French biscuit that are made from puff pastry with sugar and cinnamon rolled through giving you a spiral effect.

The trick with puff pastry is to keep every thing cold. So once the dough has been made and rolled into a square it is then placed in the fridge for an hour.  in the meantime flour and butter are beaten together and chilled in the fridge for half an hour.

The dough is then placed onto the butter mixture and the exposed butter mixture edges are folded over the dough so the dough is completely enclosed in the butter sheet.  The mixture is then rolled out to a rectangle and the top and bottom quarter are folded unto the centre and then folded in half,  this is called a book turn.  The dough is then wrapped in cling film and chilled for 25 minutes.

IMG_3557IMG_3561

The book turn is done again and the dough is cooled in the fridge for another 25 minutes.

The pastry is then rolled out to a rectangle and a mix of  sugar and  cinnamon sprinkled over the dough and another book turn is made before rolling the pastry into a rectangle.  I then rolled the pastry into what looked like a swiss roll and placed the dough into cling film and chilled it for another 25 minutes

Once chilled the dough is then cut up into slices and each slice is then rolled out into very thin sheets before placing in the oven for 8 minutes.

If done properly you should have a thin crisp biscuit that make a nice crisp sound when snapped in half.

I really enjoyed this bake as I got to try lots of new techniques and I also got  some really good comments – YayIMG_3570

Biscuit Box

Bake number 2 from The Great British Bake Off episode 2 – A biscuit box.

I think if I were on The Great British Bake Off, I would be out this week.  This is my second attempt at the biscuit box the first one collapsed.  It was so bad I didn’t even want to take any photographs.  My second attempt is slightly better.  Although both bakes didn’t turn out too well the good bit is I managed to try out some new techniques such as assembling a biscuit box and glazing the windows with a sugar caramel.  I also got to use two different types of biscuit, my first attempt was with a shortbread biscuit and my second was with a gingerbread biscuit this meant I got to experience two different doughs for making biscuit boxes.

I think next time I should do something smaller and more manageable before doing a big telephone box.

But although the boxes didn’t look great the biscuits tasted yummy.

IMG_3555 IMG_3556